Welcome

First off THANK YOU for taking the time out to check out my blog. There should be something for everyone so find what fits then wear it around proudly.

Thursday, March 24, 2011

7 Black men killed in 8 months by Miami PD


It's really hard to justify what's going on in Miami right now, as far as how many of our young Black men are being killed as of late. The numbers keep going up as the days keep going on, and at some point the MPD is going to have a serious problem on their hands.

I lived in Miami for three years while I was going to school out there, and what I can say is that Miami for the most party is HOOD. I don't mean that in a "let's glorify the hood' type of way, I mean in a run down, underdeveloped, dangerous sort of way. Don't get me wrong, people from Miami are VERY prideful about where they're from, regardless of their economic situation. I can honestly say, that out of all the cities that I've been too thus far in my life, the only place that people are more prideful about where their from is New York. This contributes to the communities like Little Haiti, Little Havana, Opa Locka, Carol City, and Liberty sticking together in times like these.

It's no secret that Miami has a voilent history, stemming back to the 80's when cocaine started to become very popular, with Miami being a hub for the drug. Because of it's location, drugs, guns, and immigrants are smuggled often into this city, only making the city more dangerous. The police have to police this city that is ran but drugs, guns, money, and violence; this isn't easy. I have an uncle who is a police chief, so when I hear about police officers being killed in the line of duty, it hurts me because I know that he himself could be one of those officers. But it's hard for me to feel bad when so many police officers are killing so many unarmed victims all over the country.

Where is the problem with this equation? Clearly there is a leak in the system that is sending cadettes into the force as a majority of these officers that are shooting have less than 3 years under their belt. In Miami an officer shot and killed in man when he claimed he saw that he had a gun. Eight days later that officer was a part of tactic team that responded to a bank robbery where he shot and killed another person. This officer killed two men before he could even finish a pay period; that's crazy. Usually when an officer kills someone on duty, they are sent to a pyschiatrist, usually given a few days off to clear their head, and eased back into going out into the streets. I don't think a week is long enough for that officer to clear his head, honestly within that week he's probably still having flashbacks of what happened. This makes for an itchy trigger finger.

Don't get me wrong, being a police officer is probably one of if not the hardest job their is in this country. You are being asked to not only serve and protect the innocent, but be able to make rational decisions in pressure situations. There is a reason why you were given the badge and not any Joe Blow on the street, and it's because we trust that you'll make the right decision when it's time for it. As of late, especially in Miami, officers have not been making the correct decisions in these pressure situations. I pray that the citizens of Miami go to the courts, begin protesting, and speaking out about what's happening as oppose to beginning a war against the police.
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"

No comments:

Post a Comment